Friday, September 11, 2009

The Best and Worst of NZ commercials

One thing I love about travelling is watching commercials in another country, and over our tenure here in Nelson we've seen some interesting trends. The first is that stalwarts back home like KFC need a little extra motivation to get Kiwis through the doors, as apparently just selling fried chicken isn't enough. It seems like almost every week we have seen a commercial for some kind of different KFC creation that defies all logic and common decency. Don't like fried chicken? Well allow me to entice you with chicken in sandwich form.. what?? Not good enough?? Well what if I put a hashbrown on top??

Behold .. the Tower Burger!!









What did you say?? Mashed Potatoes aren't good enough on their own? Well then please good sir allow me to deep fry them for you:

Seriously?? Mashies??

But I'm being a bit too harsh, it's not all bad.. in fact some of the New Zealand made commercials are pretty sweet as. We've both become pretty big fans of the Pineapple Lumps Commercial, and this Mitre 10 ad is pretty true to Kiwi form.

I'm trying to take some of the best parts of Kiwi culture, like DIY, and incorporate them into my life, but we'll see how it goes. This afternoon I'm going to try to remove the starter from our car and replace the copper contacts.. hopefully the God of Pineapple Lumps is on my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment